What’s better than a colorful, nutrient-dense salad to kick off your summer?
This salad is jam-packed with antioxidants, fiber, and protein. It is also vegetarian & vegan if you remove the goat cheese. In addition, remove the goat cheese if you are currently pregnant or are unsure if you are pregnant or not. This dish is a perfect example of a salad that will keep you FULL and also not leave your stomach grumbling within the next hour.
KALE is a superstar green for many reasons. One is that it is high in Vitamin K, a nutrient that is important for growth, development, and maintenance of bones. While Vitamin K deficiency is rare, some medications can interfere with it (check with your doctor). Kale is also a great source of Calcium for those that do not consume dairy ( 2 cups = 160 mg Ca).
Summer Salad that will leave you FULL
Makes 4 servings
- 1 bunch kale (around 6 cups)
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup goat cheese (optional, remover for vegan)
- 1/2 cup almond slivers
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt & a pinch of black pepper
- Cook quinoa.
- Wash kale and blueberries.
- Chop kale and then massage with lemon juice. Massaging kale for a few minutes helps it to be less rigid and not as bitter.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Combine salad items and enjoy! Great by itself or with some whole wheat crackers or whole wheat toast.
Fiber: 11 g
Protein: 13 g
Iron: 4 g
Calcium: 241 mg
Potassium: 879 mg
Vitamin A: 834 mcg
Folate: 97 mcg
(calculations with goat cheese &